Sunday, January 06, 2008

A BOY After My Own Heart

A few months ago, I posted an entry about my daughter and her new found skill, talent and love for gymnastics. As we all know, I was a gymnast when I was younger(and still am). I am so proud of my daughter for all her hard work and even prouder that she has taken an interest in a sport that I can relate to her.

This past week, we introduced our oldest kids to the sport of skiing. One of the ski centers in the area was running an unbeatable deal - $10 for a 1 hr lesson, ski rental and unlimited use of the school slopes. I couldn't resist having Jake and Olivia try it out - unfortunately, Gabi was just too young but enjoyed watching the other two and even more, having mommy and daddy to herself. What surprised me was that my sometimes hesitant son took to the sport immediately and insisted as soon as his lesson was done and he had mastered the first school slope, that we move to the next level. During their lesson, they used a tow to get up the very small hill. This is just a rope and pully system that you grab hold of and it takes you very slowly up the hill. When we got to the advanced school slope, it had a chair lift and a much larger hill. My daughter got half way down the slope, fell and lost her ski. Because she doesn't weigh much and the hill was a little icy, she had problems getting it back on herself. Of course, she was barely half way down the hill. Daddy to the rescue!!!! But Jake, I was having flashbacks of my ski days in high school - straight down was his way, straight down!! I was SO proud!

The downfall - now they are in love with skiing and want to go back. Doesn't surprise me that they would choose such an expensive sport! I guess it's time to look for used skis on craigslist!

My lifelong friend and me attempting an expert slope

Blue Mountain Ski Area

No comments: