Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Double Duty

It seemed like a regular day.

Sunday is church. Getting myself and 3 kids up to get there on time is always a chore. But this Sunday I had to get 6 kids up and out - that was a feat. But we made it and all 6 sat as still as church mice during the service. We took up an entire pew and placed adults strategically between the most disruptive children to ensure a peaceful worship service. After church, we got home, ate lunch and everybody just chilled for the afternoon. Before I knew it, dinner time came (pork roast on the grill and fresh corn from a roadside stand)and that was when this ordinary day turned into something special.

My older daughter announced that her tooth was loose. I did a tooth check and sure enough it was pretty loose. After we finished dinner, my sister, my cousin and I went out on the swingset to enjoy the cooling evening. Olivia came up to me to check her tooth out again and my innocent tooth check turned into a tooth removal. POP. Out it went! This is her third but her excitement was still new.

Within a few minutes of spreading the news, my youngest daughter came up to claim that she had a 'wiggly tooth'. My tooth check proved that she did and actually, it was pretty loose. That evening happened to also be a family party for my now 10 year old son. After the cake was served and the presents opened, Gabi announced again that she wanted me to do a tooth check. To my surprise it was much wigglier. Since we were leaving within the hour for a trip to NY, and I already had to play "tooth fairy" to one child while traveling, I was hoping this wiggly tooth would hold off until we got home. But my baby Foo insisted that she wanted her tooth out. I had bought 2 little Tooth Fairy bags at a boutique to hold teeth for the Tooth Fairy and up until this moment had only needed one. So I told Gabi that I had a special bag for her tooth to go in and went downstairs to get it. When I showed it to her she said, "Let's bring it to NY just in case my tooth comes out when I'm there." "No," I said, "the bag only goes with a tooth in it." Well, let me tell you that those were the right words to say to that little girl. She took me into the study, away from all the people in our house, and had me do some really strong pulls on that little tooth. After a few tears, she sucked up the pain and told me to just do it. I obeyed and pulled just enough so it was literally hanging there and she was able to do it herself.

Now my little baby doesn't look like a little baby anymore and my princess is just simply toothless! The sorrows and joys of parenthood.

Little Tooth Hangs On

Little Tooth Lost the Battle

Double Duty

Gabi Pulls out her Little Tooth



No comments: