Friday, May 04, 2007

Toofless Again

It all started out as a regular day. Dh (short for darling husband) was home teaching school and what would I do with my free morning?? He had to go to work this afternoon and I really didn't have much to do except make myself stay in bed and wonder if there was anything I REALLY needed to do. As I sat there, I remembered that I wanted to call the dentist about Olivia. She has had a loose tooth for a while and about a week ago I noticed that her gum was swollen. Not the gum directly around her tooth but starting at the roof of her upper lip extending almost to the tooth line. She has employed me to wiggle her tooth every nite in an attempt to make it come out faster - I guess. The morning I noticed the swelling, I just figured that I had wiggled it to much the night before and that the swelling would go away. Much to my chagrin, the swelling stayed where it was and never went away. It even looked a little worse. I started to get concerned that it might be an abscess of some sort so I decided to give the dentist a call this morning. I actually thought that the swelling looked almost like her new tooth coming in but figured that it was way to high up in the gumline to be that. If it actually was her new tooth coming in, it was sure popping out of her mouth at a strange place!

So, that's how my day started. What was to be a relaxed morning doing things for myself and running my errands without any kids, basically turned out to be a morning with Olivia at the dentist. My suspicions were right, the swelling WAS actually her new tooth coming out. But what I hadn't prepared myself for this morning, was the fact that the dentist wanted to pull the baby tooth out since it was impeding on the new tooth coming in.

Oh, boy.

I don't know what it is with my kids and their teeth pulling antics!!

But here we go again!

My princess was a brave little trooper and I tried to help her relax by teaching her some imagery techniques. I had her close her eyes and picture the dock in Florida where she loves to sit and what the sunsets. To picture the 'coconut fish' in the water and feel the warm sunshine on her face. They gave her several shots of novicane and my princess just sat there and squeezed my hand as I gently talked to her about her favorite place in Florida. Before we knew it, that little baby tooth was out. The dentist reminded Olivia that she had a special pink phone that only dentists have to contact the tooth fairy about special feets of courage like Olivia demonstrated today. It was so amazing to watch my little girls face light up. She called her cousin tonite just to tell her all about that special pink phone.

So, her she is, toofless again.

No comments: