Sunday, March 13, 2005

Look at what they did to me!!!



Remember my little accident in the kitchen?? If you don't, scroll down until you see the picture of the sliced finger. Ahh, now it is coming back to you. Well, I first have to preface this by saying that I never had any real injuries or drama when I was growing up. No broken bones ( my sis Emmy had them all for me), no stitches, no major illnesses. There was an occasional stubbed toe nail and shin splints from my gymnastics catastrophes but nothing that made me feel special because I had a big boo boo. Now, in my adult hood, I think I'm trying to make up for all those childhood accidents that I avoided. Don't get me wrong, I am a clutz and I have a VERY dominent clutz gene. That clutz gene is so strong that is has not only passed onto my own three children but via airborne methods, has passed onto my husband. Clutzes run in the family. Case in point - my dad's latest visit to Europe. Apparently, Clutz Gene Number One was crossing a street and not watching where his feet were going. He splatted in the middle of the road and his high tech camera went for a sail. Luckily, he ended up with only minor cuts and bruises and the camera, to my surprise, didn't shatter on the street. But what Clutz Gene Number One didn't realize until it was way to late, days to late, was that his memory stick that held the 150 pictures that he had taken of their visit - flew out of that camera. Clutz. So, this is what I have ended up with from my sliced a finger - a PICC line. Don't know what the initials stand for but it is basically a catheter that goes in my basillic vein and threads all the way to my superior vena cava (the entrance to one of the chambers of the heart). Sound fun, huh?? I have to give myself IV antibiotics 3 times a day for the next 4 weeks. And what is this for. Here's the kicker. Apparently when they cleaned my finger off to put the stitches in in the ER - they didn't do a really good job. There is a bug called Staph that lives happily on your skin, when it gets into your blood stream - it reaks havoc. That little bug has now caused a bone infection in my finger called osteomylitis. I can't really feel any pain but my finger is still very swollen after 3 rounds of oral antibiotics. All from one little kitche accident. Clutz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch!!! - I hope you recover soon.