Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Reflections #3

If you haven't read #1 or #2, you need to do that.

And I guess today would be the real start of that band-aid ripping process. This was the day that the packers/loaders took 10 hours to load our moving van. They started at 11 a.m. and stopped at about 8:30 p.m. We would say good-bye to our house, life, friends, familiarity, connectedness and comfort zone of Cleveland for good.

Wow.

One year ago.

I stood at the end of the driveway, the sun set, the porch lights on in at the house, the garage light on inside the garage. The girls were with us. Jake was slowly on his way to join us, paused and then gingerly touched his fingers to the garage door and said good-bye. As I said one year ago, that memory will forever be burned in my mind. It hurt so much and seemed to be the embodiment of what we were all feeling.

I was glad that day was over one year ago and I'm glad today is over here in the present. It has a whole new meaning to me now. I can no longer say that "one year ago when we were in Cleveland" because from here on out, we've been here in Pennsylvania and done that in Pennsylvania.

No comments: